You may think it strange that I have documented yesterday's roll making event, but trust me, this was a long awaited day! For the last few Thanksgivings I have opted to bring the rolls. Why you ask do I INSIST that they be homemade? Well, because that's how my mom did it :) And, of course, because they are SO MUCH more delicious. Ok, well my rolls haven't been horrible enough that I had to stop at Kroger on my way to Thanksgiving dinner, but they were always a let down for me. Either they were too burnt, too tasteless (the year I forgot the salt) or too tough to chew through (not really, BUT they weren't soft and squishy.)
This year however I was DETERMINED to improve. I have been baking rolls for the last week trying to improve my technique and by golly I've DONE IT!!! Now, this has nothing to do with me suddenly waking up a baking genius, but I DID stumble upon a WONDERFUL website while searching the internet for "light and fluffy bread." This woman is not only a culinary phenom she is also so sweet and willing to help us who have moments of challenge in the kitchen. Can you believe that you can ask this saintly woman a cooking question and she'll answer you back? She's quick, too! Ok, enough rambling (oh yeah, she also teaches using VIDEO!! People, if you can't learn from her, then you are hopeless haha!)
Here is my beautifully risen bread dough (that was actually supple and elasticy when I was through kneading, like the recipes always say it should look like but never does). Absolutely double it's size!
Before I did this step, my 6 year old walked in the door from school and said, "Mom, is it time to punch the dough?" Yeah, I've watched Miss Chandra's videos enough that even my KIDS can quote her. Look at how beautiful and airy this dough is!

My risen rolls. Ok, they look ugly but here's the thing... I was trying out different shapes (sort of) and didn't get the hang of what I wanted until the bottom half of my second pan. I think that they could have raised more, but Oh well.... still a beautiful sight!


My finished product
I am applying a little pressure to the side of the roll so that you can see how SOFT and Fluffy they are!! I LOVE THEM!!!

Thanksgiving here I come!! Thanks Miss Chandra!


9 People Showin' Love:
well that's just great! thanks a lot for making my mouth water like crazy over your delicious looking rolls!
Those look so good. Makes me want to eat some bread, but I don't have anything in the house that would be that delicious.
thanks for giving us some rolls this morning. We love having rolls to eat and I, too, will be slaving in the kitchen making two batches of rolls.
Seriously, why did I sign up for rolls too!!! Now the pressure is on for me NOT to bring Sister Schuberts!
Amy, I am COUNTING on you to bring YUMMY SS rolls in the event that mine turn out crappy and i have to stop by Kroger for a gross bag of rolls! :)
I am so hungry for rolls right now! Thanks for sharing the tips. I saw a super cute idea on theidearoom.net where the woman put a little thankful note in the middle of each roll. Super cute.
oh I am so jealous of Shauna.... They look beautifully, perfectly, yummy!
thats awesome! i am so proud of you.. Roll hmm something I have not attempted! Sure miss you guys! have a happy thanksgiving!
Nice job! Those look super good and yummy.
Post a Comment