Joseph * Micaela * Jayden * Hadley * J Brennon * Nate

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Turbulent Tuesday

Instead of Super Tuesday the mid-south has renamed yesterday Turbulent Tuesday. What an exctiting and really scary night! We woke up to enjoy a day of about 75 degrees which when coupled with a lot of cold air moving in, became perfect for an eventful night of weather. There has only been one other time in our 4 1/2 years here in Memphis that I have actually been scared and even then we still never had to "take cover." Last night was our first night where I was actually worried about the outcome. After listening to about 45 minutes of weather warnings and grabbing our 72 hour kits and important documents, we headed downstairs to our good neighbor's house to take better cover. We stayed in the kids' bathtub, the host family stayed in their master bath and another family joined the tornado party in the kids' closet! It was pretty terrifying watching the computerized spinning clouds directly over the Bartlett area and listening to reports coming in about the funnels that were either present or currently touching down all around us. Fortunatly none of the funnels touched directly in Bartlett however there is extensive damage in different parts of the city where the tornado did infact touch down. Over all Tennessee suffered 24 deaths that have been accounted for with a total of 47 for the entire midsouth region. Thankfully we were all kept safe here!


Funnel over woflcase area. It never touched down (thankfully because it is HUGE and only about 8 minutes drive from where we live!)

Picture of lightening taken in East Memphis. The lightening and rain were pretty crazy!

Tornado just south of Memphis

11 People Showin' Love:

The Smaellies said...

Looks like it was a pretty scare night for you guys! Very glad you are safe!

Kayleen said...

Hey you! It's been a while! How are you doing? I can't say that I miss the tornado warnings. I'm glad everything turned out ok.

Rachel said...

I keep complaining about the snow but after reading that I guess it could be much worse and I'd rather have the blizzard over the tornado. I'm glad you guys were safe.

Kylene said...

Oh my heck! How scary. I'm glad you guys are okay.

shauna said...

Hey, I just realized that your email address is not in m contacts-which explains why you haven't been getting the emails about enrichment. There is enrichment tonight. It's the hugs and kisses blocks @ 7. There will be a nursery if you need it but don't let anyone know about it. We don't want people bringing their kids when they have husbands at home who could watch them. Anyway, have fun there tonight.

Dani said...

I would have been freaking out! I get so scared here when there are just tornado warnings! And when there are huge thunderstorms with the crazy lightening I like to sit in the bathroom where there are no windows so I don't have to watch! I'm a wuss I know! Glad you guys didn't get hit!

Tia J said...

So scary! Glad to hear you are ok! That would make me want to move!

Melissa Hodgen said...

I saw it all over the news. I'm so glad that you guys are safe. I bet that siren near the Meadows was so LOUD! I remember a few weeks after we moved to Memphis we had that tropical storm. I'd been in Utah for so long(without rain) that I thought it was normal.

Challis said...

I bet you didn't know I read your blog! I'm such a voyeur.. Anyway, I was wondering how you were doing when I heard about the storms, and I'm so relieved to hear you and your family are safe. On the bright side, you have an interesting story to tell.

Whitney Blake said...

Oh my goodness.. I am so glad that you were okay. That would be so scary I wouldn't even know what to do. Let me know if you need anything. Stay safe.

Unknown said...

Micaela,
Your girls are darling! Whitney said that you had two little princesses! Nothing like little girls and dress up. Congratulations on a fun growing family!
Holly

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed